This quilt has been an unexpected pleasure to work on. Although it would have been a lot simpler to have known the final design from the beginning, the false starts were a great learning experience. I think the final design has a sort of superhero/super star vibe that is perfect for kids.
For the quilting, I extended the lines from the star to the edges and then stitched in the ditch around the square frames. There is a little puckering at the bottom of the quilt where the frames and the rays from the star intersect–grr. I don’t think it will be very noticeable after the quilt is washed, but I would love to know how to prevent this from happening. (This is why I love quilting in a diamond grid–nice and smooth every time!) The backing fabrics are two Denyse Schmidt prints from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I wasn’t sure the prints would work, but I really like how they look with the quilt top. All that’s left to do is the binding. I am leaning toward charcoal. Too dull? I also have a gold honeycomb print in my stash that might be good?
I made several blocks in a pattern that matches the UFO block that I chose from my Modern Quilt Guild exchange. The blocks were super fun to make. I don’t often make traditional blocks–so I was pleased to see that my seams lined up! So far so good. Except then I had to find a way to piece them together so the UFO block (which is slightly larger and hand pieced) won’t look like an alien among the new blocks. First I tried a sort of scrappy approach with bone white and gray.
I didn’t think the pale colors worked with the bold colors in the stars.
Next I placed the new star blocks in a strip and tested some darker colors next to it. I like the charcoal and mustard yellows. I think I might finish the top by placing the UFO block at the center of a log cabin with more mustard and maybe some hot pink? I really need to finish this top up so I can get it quilted by our guild meeting on September 3. Yikes!
My guild, Gainesville Modern Quilters, decided to do a UFO (unfinished objects) swap and then make charity quilts with the exchanges. We plan to link up with SwimBikeQuilt’s 100 Quilts for Kids. I chose this lovely block that was hand-pieced by Mary’s grandmother.
I really want to make something special with this block. I was thinking that red and blue eight-point stars and some flying geese would suit the original design. But then I saw a very pretty star block on Hyacinth Quilt Design (from the book Simply Retro by Camille Roskelley) that I think might be just perfect.
I also love the palette in this quilt from Spotted Stone Studio–I love the mix of navy and red with the soft pinks and gold–so pretty!
Here are some of the fabrics I’ve pulled so far to work on this–and a big piece of white, which I plan to use lots of!
I am really excited about this project. Taking something rooted in family and traditional quilting and making something modern is super appealing. Plus, I’ve been making quilts for my Etsy shop, which is exciting and fun, but making a quilt for a child in need is a very different feeling. I look forward to sharing my progress–which should be fairly rapid since we are meeting the first week in September to gather our finished quilts!