I haven’t blogged in a really long time, but I just finished this quilt, which I’ve been working on slowly for a while. Each (of the 225!) colored squares is one inch. I picked the size because it was so easy to translate from my graph paper sketch. I made the sketch quickly–just coloring squares without a whole lot of thought and ended up with a surprising sort-of hidden pattern that reminded me a little of fair isle knitting. I wasn’t sure how the sketch would translate to a quilt, but I followed it almost exactly. The top is made of 25 blocks with 9 colored squares each. I first thought about making long strips, but breaking the design into blocks really helped keep the grid neat.
Here are some close-ups where the pattern disappears.